S3 Practical Craft Skills
This course gives you a broad introduction practical craft skills. The course is largely workshop based and focuses on practical woodworking and metalworking skills. You will get to use a wide range of tools, equipment and materials, working with wood, manufactured boards and metals. You will follow a series of activities through to the completion of a finished item.
This course focuses on elements of practical crafts techniques and standard practice, allowing you to learn a range of practical skills, through either woodworking and metalworking. You will learn how to use the correct tools and equipment and a range of materials. You will also gain an appreciation of safe working practices in a workshop environment.
In this course, you will:
- learn about a range of common tools and equipment used in woodworking and metalworking
- develop skills for measuring and marking out and for preliminary cutting and shaping of materials.
- learn to work with different woodworking and metalworking materials
- develop skills in cutting, shaping, fixing and joining materials, using a variety of appropriate techniques.
- make an item from wood, metal or a combination of these materials
- learn to read and interpret simple working drawings, select and use tools safely
- apply appropriate finishing techniques and review your completed item.
Your work will be assessed by your teacher on an ongoing basis throughout the course. Items of work might include:
- practical work – work with tools and materials
- project work – producing an item from wood or metal
- log books - record of workshop practices
- written tests - review of knowledge and understanding
- National 4 Practical Woodworking
- National 5 Practical Woodworking
- National 4 Practical Metalworking
- National 5 Practical Metalworking